Friday, January 11, 2013

Keys for Successful Writers

I attended a writing forum last night and actually found some inspiration and learned some keys for successful writers. The forum was an open Question & Answer session with four of Utah's top writers in the Young Adult/Middle School genre.

I had almost decided not to go to the meeting, as I am still dealing with a horrible case of mono and am utterly exhausted most of the time. However, at the last minute I determined to give it a shot and I am glad I did.

I wondered if each author had a specific process, if they stuck to an outline or allowed characters to take the story where they wanted to go. I wondered if each writer had a set schedule and wrote every day. I wondered how long it took them to write a full book. I wondered if most of their writing process was internal, or if they had writing support groups and got inspiration from brainstorming with others and getting feedback. I wondered if each writer struggled with the desire for perfection and the "internal editor" or if they knew their writing was filled with mistakes. The answers I got back were actually quite comforting.

Each writer had various processes - they had come up with ways of writing that fit their lives and styles. But as each progressed in writing, they all discovered that having outlines became invaluable. Some had outlines chapter by chapter only. Others outlined character arcs, romance arcs, and plot arcs as well. Some wrote their first chapter a dozen times or more as they came to know their protagonists. Others played "get to know you" games with their characters in order to truly know them before they began to write.

A few had writing support groups they would attend in order to not get inspiration, but more to get encouragement and to realize they were not alone in their writing endeavors. Some would share their writing with a few trusted friends and other authors in order to get feedback.

All struggled with their "internal editors", and all had overcome the desire and expectation that their writing would be perfect. Each admitted that their first drafts were "garbage" and all recognized the strong need for many rewrites before being happy with their outcomes. The recommendations were to just write and allow yourself the freedom to spew forth ideas - and then later go back and fill in gaps and rewrite to fix the technical issues.

I came away with not only insights into other writer's lives, but also with the realization that I have struggled with the same things others have, and that the direction I am going is the right one for me. The key is to keep writing, to keep reading, to keep learning, and to allow myself the freedom to not be perfect.

The keys for successful writers have the same basic fundamentals: outline, write, write, write, then edit, rewrite and then rewrite some more. But the processes and styles are unique to each writer. The bottom line lesson learned from attending this forum was: "If you love to write - then write!"

So... I am writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment